Monday, December 26, 2011

A Little Face Lift Magic

I decided to give some of the random things that were beginning to pile up in my garage a face lift.  My poor husband would like to park in the garage at some point and considering we just got a foot of snow, it is probably best to start fixing up the furniture.  So I started small... which didn't do much for making more space but I am intimidated by some of the bigger pieces in there.

I redid a little book shelf that my cousin gave us.  I just went with a 2 tone, natural wood and heirloom white.  What do ya think?

Before:


After:


Next I ventured over to the chair section of the garage.  You probably think I am kidding, but seriously people, I have about 10 chairs in my garage waiting to get a face lift... well, now I can say there are only 9:)

Before:


After:



I didn't want to ruin the vintage integrity of the wood.  It has such pretty flower detailing and is in really good condition.  The fabric however needed help... BAD!  So I gave it this gold seat, and it made all the difference!  

Hint:  I have a secret.  Fabric is seriously expensive.  Especially the really heavy upholstery fabric.  Well, instead of buying it at a hobby store, I get most of my fabric from the clearance rack at Target or Goodwill.  I know what you are thinking... They don't sell fabric at Target and Goodwill.  No they don't, but they do sell curtains and bedding.  This seat is reupholstered using a curtain I found at Goodwill.  It cost me $1 and I still have more then half left over for another project.  This much fabric, at even the cheapest hobby store, of this high quality would cost at least $15.  So there it is, my little secret... don't judge:)

Hope you all had a very merry Christmas.  I sure did:)  I will share some pictures soon.

Cheers!


6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I have used quilts before, but never curtains (except for dropcloth curtains....LOL)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea on the fabric for sure. I was thinking about what I could find there for wool sweaters for upcycled sewing material. I love the white and wood chest, although I am a little OCD I think and I would need the whole thing to be white. It is really cute, though- great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them both! And I love that you didn't paint the chair, because I'm kind of an antiques snob who hates to see good antiques painted over! Lol. Oh! And I normally use remnants for my projects, all the selection of a fabric store but less than half the price! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chair! I also like your thrifty fabric finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I love that you kept the doors wood. THe detail shines! AND don't forget to look at table cloths, fabric shower curtains, and sheets for large pieces of fabric! and drop clothes.....
    Kim@reposhture@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete