Monday, September 26, 2011

Business in the Front, Party in the Back

I have been a painting machine lately.

In an attempt to make my bedroom slightly more pleasant... since it will most likely be the very last room we actually get to... I decided to give my bedside table a little face lift.  I should also mention that not only will this be my bedside table but due to our TINY bathroom this will also be where I do my makeup and hair (which lets be honest, only happens a few times a week anyway).

I have been hauling around this old sewing table for some time now.  My initial intent was to actually use it as a sewing table... but how much fun would that be??  So I took out the old sewing machine that was still on the inside and began to dream up fun ways to use this table. 


(side note: notice the grass is getting greener, I have been trying to bring it back from the brink of death!)

I want my bedroom to be lighter in color since it is on the smaller side and I don't want to make it feel even smaller with dark furniture.  So I chose to paint it ivory.  I am loving the off whites lately!

I washed her down, sanded her up (or would that be down... she feels violated either way), taped off her hardware and got to spraying. 




After this, I sanded a few spots to give her a little "age."




Then I used Mandi's glazing technique over at Vintage Revivals to give her a little more character.  ( I know I reference Mandi a lot.  But seriously, I would give my left arm to have half the girl's talent!).



See how the glaze brings out the lines! 




I love how she turned out!!  I plan on hanging a mirror so I can sit and get ready there. 
Oh, and I totally forgot to mention the best part!  I painted the inside purple.  Kinda like the mullet of side tables.  Business on the outside and party on the inside. 


(I had to retouch that left front leg... so don't worry I didn't leave it all unglazed like that)

I plan on finding/making a basket that is the size of the hole where the sewing machine used to be.  I will keep my makeup, blowdryer, brush, etc in it so that it is hidden when the table is closed.  I think it brings new meaning to the phrase "repurposed!"

Have any of you "repurposed" anything lately??   I love getting new ideas!

Pin It


5 comments:

  1. Okay, you are a genius. That is the coolest table ever! It looks gorgeous and is sooooo functional. I'm monumentally impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out GREAT! It looks like a brand new table and it will be completely functional for you now. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I am very happy with how it turned out:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cool! I'm glad to hear you'd like to host the contest at your place-- it rocks here-- So far, putting on the gadget to upload pics for the contest has been very easy. we'll see how it goes-- heehee, I really have no idea what I am doing. :) right now I think I have b3homes hosting next contest, would you want to do the third leg?

    ReplyDelete