Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Epic Failure!

I had some really good intentions on this one. I got this fabulous dresser at Goodwill for $15... on half off day... so that is $7.50!! Everyone else thought it was SO ugly but I knew it was going to be gorgeous... or so I thought. A few days after I got it, my hubby came home with a "new" paint sprayer... or so we thought. He got it on the clearance rack and when we opened it we realized it had been used. (There was dried paint on it still.) Well, my dad and I set it up anyway and I was determined to paint this beauty white:



Well, I guess there was a reason the sprayer was on clearance.  Basically, the spray came out SO much that I had drips EVERYWHERE.  Fail. I was so sad, and pretty sure I had ruined my fab. dresser.  I just shoved it back into the garage and let it sit for a few more weeks.  Well, after a few friends came over and so kindly pointed out that we look like hoarders (in the garage that is), I decided to get to work on this so I could free up a little space.  P.S. these friends were not being mean... it is SO true haha.

My plan was to sand it down, and spray paint it white with grey stripes on the drawers and doors.  Let me tell you, this would have been cute but once I started sanding I realized what an awesome piece I was about to have.  I just started sanding the drips and when I was done sanding this is what I had:


FABULOUS.  So my failure turned out to be fanfrigentastic.  I just added new knobs and hinges and it is perfect!  Oh, did I mention that we are actually using it in our dining room as a wine/food pantry?  The hubs added a wine glass rack to the side and it was done.  We had an old wine rack we weren't using anymore so we just took it apart and used the glasses part of it on the dresser.






This seemingly failed project turned out to be the BEST piece I have ever done.  Go figure.



Mercantile Muse




Button








12 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! Adding the wine rack is genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't take credit for the genius though... The hubby gets credit on that one:)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is an incredible transformation!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just make believe you knew it would turn out so great! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love it! Are those cabinet doors not the best? My husband's dresser is similar in style and it's great because of how much space those doors make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm constantly amazed at how you can see the good in all this furniture and turn it into something awesome. I wish I had that kind of ability. It turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME!!! see that. it was meant to be a failure first so it could end as fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how this piece turned out. So charming!
    I'm your newest follower on GFC and Linky. Hope you'll stop by and follow me.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is precious! A fabulously "failed" project! Found you via link party. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Traci, just letting you know that you're featured on Mercantile Muse today!

    enjoy,
    Pam

    http://batesmercantileco.blogspot.com/2012/03/things-i-found-heard-at-party.html

    ReplyDelete