Monday, November 14, 2011

CH-CH-CH-Changes!

Where do I even begin? Warning: this post will be sort of long but stick with me.

Lets start at the beginning, makes sense I guess. A month or so ago I decided I was DONE with the insurance world. I love my bosses but oh my gosh I wanted out.  Do you know how boring insurance is???  My husband always says "it is what it is."  I HATE this saying, what a terrible defeatist attitude!  So instead of just letting "it" be and going along with the flow, I decided to grab the bull by the horns, or is it balls?  I emailed an estate sales company I have been eyeing and asked if they wanted help.  It was that simple.  They emailed me back a few weeks later and the answer was YES!  Holy guacamole I almost weeeed in my pants!  So, I put in my 2 weeks (which is actually getting drawn out longer because this girl is a softy and can't say no) at the insurance office. 

So, do you think I was going to stop there???  NOPE!  The truth is I was satisfied with this change and really looking forward to a fresh new career digging through other people's crap.  But, as I was still rolling on the high of this career change I asked myself, "self... what do you REALLY want to be when you grow up."  And myself replied, "You want to own a store in The Barn."

To all of you non-Colorado peeps out there The Barn is my own personal heaven.  It is absolutely FANFRIGGENTASTIC!  Words cannot possibly describe it's awesomeness but I will do my best.  It is an old barn... shocking I know... and it is HUGE.  It is sectioned off into a bunch of different "stores" and each vendor has their own space.  They sell furniture, handmade goods, home decor, clothes, you name it, they have it... and it is better then anything else you could find in a regular old store.  If you want to check it out, hop over to their website... it doesn't do it justice though.  http://www.thebarncastlerock.com/.  They have been mentioned in Colorado's 5280 magazine as well as in Flea Market Magazine as one of Colorado's top market places!  Needless to say, they are kind of a big deal. 

Well, I contacted the owner and set up a business meeting (talk about grabbing that bull by the balls!).  I called up my partner in crime and artistic idol Rachelle and we gathered up the best representation of our products... a.k.a. furniture, paintings, and handmade goods... Then we were off.  I felt like I was 16 again getting ready for my dance try outs, so nervous/giddy with excitement.  The owner of THE BARN was about to decide if we were good enough to grace the store with our presence.  We met up, showed off our crap, and bam... we were IN!  (guess we nailed this tryout)

So, I am now here to announce that starting December 1st, Rachelle and I will be the proud owners of our very own store: The Dented Lampshade!  So there ya have it.  In a matter of weeks I am going from a boring office job that makes me want to pull my hair out to 2, count them, 2 brand new shiny careers!  You will all have to forgive me if I am unavailable or acting crazy for the next few months... you see, I will be very VERY busy:)

So, the moral of the story is... GRAB THAT BULL!  "it is NOT what it is".  If you don't like your situation, then change it.  I'm not saying I will succeed at this, I am not saying I will even be good at it, but at least I am trying.  A little prayer and A LOT of hard work can really go a long way.


And here is our future space: (the lady in it now has some FANTASTIC stuff!  Those are some big shoes to fill.)



Wish us luck!

9 comments:

  1. Holy moley, how fantastic!! I am so happy for you and so glad you ditched something you didn't love for something you do. I hope it works out well for you and don't pull your hair out in the first week when everything goes crazy! It's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! I wish you much success!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for us!!! And yay for The Dented Lampshade!!! :) Love you my POC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! What an exciting time for you!!! And such sage advice. Good luck with your new careers! I'm definitely going to have to check out The Barn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! That's so amazing! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting!! Good luck and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Congrats girl! How awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, that is SO great!!! And I've been to The Barn. My stepdaughter and her family live in Castle Rock, and it is one of Jenny's favorite hang outs!! Next time we visit them, I'll check out The Dented Lampshade.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't stop going through all of your blogs! I love your posts and definitely following! I am so envious of your new business venture! I dream if the same thing, but there is no Barn here haha! Maybe one day, but congrats to you and your partner in crime!

    ReplyDelete